Thursday 14 August 2014

Voodoo doll

A slight exaggeration... I went to a new physio tonight, my mate Jo recommended him. He is the physio her cross fit gym use so he is well used to broken and battered bodies.

I wanted to go as my SI joint is still niggling away and my sternum is still causing me pain under load.

He reviewed all my issues and laughed at how I managed to sustain these issues and then he did some mobility checks.

He deduced that I have a fair few issues to be going at but the worst of the lot is my psoas on my right hand side. This is what I hurt doing a head stand when I was in agony for  week and it also explains the pain I got after walking around Edinburgh in high heels!

I am also really tight in my quadratus lumborum on the opposite side and my deltoid on the right, which is unsurprising as that is where my neck locks up quite regularly.

Then he started on the acupuncture.. I'm not sure of you have ever had it before, I thought I had, but nothing could've prepared me for this! He pushes the needle into the muscle, it felt like it was miles in there, not sure of it was as I didn't dare look. It felt like my kidney had gone into spasm and was insanely painful. It turns out that is my pissed off muscle getting really mad and grabbing a hold of the needle. He would then ease the needle in and out until the muscle released its spasm..

But that was just the start, he then took on the psoas.. This was a whole different world of pain! Every time he pulled the needle out it felt like the muscle was vibrating. This was all the scar tissue rubbing over the needle as it was being broken down, the aim of this is to improve the circulation to the damaged muscle to help it heal properly.

Now, I'm normally really good at dealing with pain and this pushed my boundaries. It's not just the pain, it's the sensation hat really adds to the whole sensation, but there were definitely a couple of occasions I was nearly telling him to stop.. So I'm there again next Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment