Thursday 8 May 2014

Meal replacement

This is something I never expected I would contemplate, mainly because I absolutely love eating. So its not just a nourishment thing, its also an enjoyment thing.

There is one main reason I have been considering going down this route for a least once a day and its time.  Whilst I absolutely love thinking about, prepping and making healthy meals; its incredibly time consuming.  I'm not the type of person that can have the same thing, day after day so planning what to have takes time. Not long granted, but my time is in incredibly high demand.  It takes me time because I like to consider my macro balance through the day as well as calorie intake. 

Before Tom took his job in town, I could send him my macro balance for the day and what I wanted lunch to have in it and he would make something amazing from it. He simply doesn't have time now. 

The reason I have not gone down this route sooner is the fact that most main stream meal replacements seem to contain unnecessary rubbish.  By this, I mean artificial sweeteners, bulking agents and thickeners.  For me, the meal replacement had to be about getting optimum nutrition from a healthy source, fast. I wasn't even that bothered about the palatability of the product as it tasting good wasn't its purpose.

I finally found a product that I felt was suitable. It was on a Google + link from a group I follow.  Garden of Life, raw meal.  The one I have opted for isn't flavoured as I always found that powders I have tasted in the past that stress flavored have a really bizarre chemical aftertaste, it also contains only organic and none GMO (still an area I am undecided about) ingredients and works out at just under £2 a meal and under 300 calories. It does still contain things that I'm not convinced are entirely necessary, but it seems to be the last offensive I can find. The site is also really to find everything you want and doesn't make any effort to hide any of the ingredients lays like a lot of sites do.

It arrived on Wednesday and I was fully prepared for it to taste utterly vile, but I was pleasantly surprised. It doesn't smell brilliant but has a not unpleasant earthy taste. It first reminds me of peas and broccoli. It contains very little fat, so I need to keep an eye on getting that right.  I can use olive oil on salads and make the most of avocado and nuts and get my fat like that. Keep my snacking smart basically. I have used it as lunch for the last two days and it had been so convenient. I don't immediately feel full but if I am patient I do after about twenty mins.

So basically, watch this space!

No comments:

Post a Comment