Wednesday 14 May 2014

What dreams are made of!

There is a co op grocery shop in Manchester call Unicorn Grocery that I have heard mentioned by a few people, as they stock a lot of the sort of food I enjoy.. Food I see as normal but it isn't mainstream it would seem.  Sugar free foods, local fruit and veg, personal products that don't contain chemical crap etc etc.  I have always assumed it was too tricky to get to but decided to check the other day and it is a simple 10 min drive from the office... Well, how much do I wish I had been before!! The place is heavenly!!

You walk in to all the fresh veg, the labels tell you what they are and where they are sourced from; the majority being local which is brilliant. Then to the left is the fruit, lots of different types that you wouldn't see in most supermarkets, as is with the veg.  I just love the opportunity to try new things and introduce seasonal produce where possible.  They have all the misshaped products that aren't deemed fit for the shelf in mainstream, which also frustrates the life out of me.  The products I looked at were also all organic and, whilst I am rubbish at taking cost into account if it is something I really want, it didn't seem outrageously priced.

Once through the veg, you are presented with a fridge full of sugar free treats and raw chocolate goods.  This fridge is also home to containers of sprouted everything!! Rows of veggie burgers, tofu in all different shapes, sizes and flavours. So many more incredible things I can't remember.. And then, you are faced with the belly of the beast that is FULL of produce I love! Shelf after shelf of nut butters, sugar free jams, syrups of every variety, eco friendly house products, fruit, nuts, flours, alternative and gluten free EVERYTHING. They have a deli counter that serves so many amazing looking salads and fresh breads of all kinds!

Seriously, I would move house just to have this as my corner shop. I am undeniably in love with a shop, it has answered all my wishes!!  I will now be a regular, I was kind of blinded by stock yesterday so need to go back and do a wall at a time so I miss nothing!  One awesome find was broken cashews, they cost £3.79 for a kilo, where unbroken ones would be over £10.. What is wrong with people?! Who cares if they are damaged?! And they are absolutely perfect for me to make mountains of cheap cashew butter!! I'm officially a geek!!

If your in the Chorlton area, you have to visit this place!

No comments:

Post a Comment