Tuesday 10 December 2013

Blood, sweat and tears

I haven't been this sore for some time, that is the joy of low intensity workouts; they lack the exuberance to destroy every fibre u posses, including that of your being! My quads have always been a sore point for me, quite literally. When they tie up they do it in style and day 2 is always by far the worse.  A couple of PT's have told me that I mustn't be getting enough protein in my diet, I protein loaded on Monday, but was somewhat lacking yesterday and that was possibly a mistake.

I had to give in and get some ibuprofen with codeine yesterday as my back was really giving me some sh*t! I have never ventured into this world before but felt that I was making it worse by favouring it.  Anyway, no ill effect other than the urge to clear my throat constantly!! I have just read that its a naturally occurring opiate; I really should've expected a little more from my foray!  It was only over the counter stuff though, so I wouldn't have thought it would be particularly strong. It was more my lower back, lumbar/sacral region yesterday rather rather than the SI pain I was getting the day before, progress of sorts.

I rode again last night and this eased it considerably once again! So riding may well be the cause of a lot of my woes, but currently it is somewhat my saviour in a way. Interestingly though, Millie, who I rode last night is one of the trickier horses for me to get right for reasons I always blame on myself. She is quite long in her back so seems to really suffer with my imbalance, this manifest itself by her being tense and resistant to certain movement. However, when I first started riding and was sore, she went exceptionally well and it was only when my poor, achey body started to bed in that she started to play me up. I think it was down to the fact that as I was sore, I was actually guarding myself by holding onto my posture correctly and carrying myself through my core; basically not being lazy.  This just compounds my thoughts on her issues being my issues, poor lady.

I have continued to go to the gym throughout this, I know, smacks a little of an obsession but I feel so rubbish if I don't go and doing gentle exercise means there is a small chance it will ease my pain. I did a short spin on the decline bike (not a clue what its actually called!) and then stretches to ease the pain in my back.  This did work until I decided I could be working on my neck flexibility whilst my back was bad... Erm, its all joined dear! So, this morning I am on the same bike thing, getting myself a bit warm and then may attempt some stretching. My glutes are currently numb from sitting on them in this position, I really do lack resilience in any way!

As I was getting changed yesterday, a lady came over to me who I know from the classes I used to do and she said how impressed she was with my transformation and how amazing I look, which is always great to hear. She had noticed that I have been doing a lot of yoga and asked if it was purely down to that.  Whilst I attribute a lot of my latest toning to yoga, I also had to break the news that no one wants to hear... The way I have done it is to be strict with my calorie intake, stop drinking all the time and be 100% committed to getting myself in the shape of my life.  Her response was the same I hear from most and one I used for many years, along the lines of loving a drink and a good meal. You have to want this more than any of that unfortunately. There are no quick fixes, no miracles.. Just good old fashioned, blood, sweat and tears!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment