Wednesday 25 December 2013

Time for the fat pants!

I am definitely guilty of 1 deadly sin today; I think I am one of the most glutenous people I know!! I am so insanely full I genuinely think I could rip!

I knew it was going to be carnage, I had hoped I could've managed to be a little more graceful though! Not the case.  I suppose I need to make the most of it as I fully intend on stripping right back in the new year. The food is just so, so tasty!!

I had a little chat with my niece today about how there are children that don't get anything on Christmas day and they are lucky if they even manage to eat.  I suggested that it would be a nice thing to do if she went and looked through her toys and found some that she could send to a less privileged child and she could write them a letter too.  She ran off and found a teddy that she could donate and we are going to help her write a letter to send with it.  It was very sweet.

Along with being too full, the sheer scale of gluttony and general over indulgence associated with Christmas makes me feel uncomfortable.  Its a shame it doesn't make me uncomfortable enough to not be a massive pig though!!  The crazy amount of presents children get embarrasses me, they aren't even remotely interested in what they open and its just so wasteful in so many ways, but then I'm not a mother so couldn't possibly understand the feeling of wanting to spoil them rotten!!

There is so much pressure on parents to buy loads of presents, I think a lot of it is self inflicted, but either way, its there.  I know of people who earn very little and put themselves into vast amounts of debt to give there children hundreds of presents.  They buy them iPads and then presents on top and they can end up venturing into almost a thousand pounds per child.  It just beggars belief, would it not make more sense to take the time to educate our children at this time of year and teach them to value what they have,  materialistically and emotionally? Or am I being way too whimsical?

The thing I like most about Christmas is the time off work, a warm house, lovely food and most of all; happy people, working together to put amazing food on the table; albeit way too much.  Slightly contradictory yes. I like to think that if I was a mother, I could teach my child to be appreciative in the simple things, its just a fine line between being a meaningful parent and just being an annoying pain in the ass though!

Anyway... I have had a lovely day, my sister made some amazing food and I am looking forward to doing it all again in Lincolnshire.  I do however, feel the desperate need to exercise damn it!!

Hope you've all had a wonderful time today and carry on enjoying the festivities xx

No comments:

Post a Comment