Wednesday 5 February 2014

Let battle commence

Well, it commenced over a week ago but my body has been fighting all the illnesses I am surrounded by for over a week now. Last week it was mum, dad and Tom with some flu sort of thing that totally wiped them out and I had a sore throat and a headache for a few days.  This week, most the office is sick and I started with a sore throat again yesterday.

I used to immediately go to Lemsip when I felt a little bit poorly, but I have been trying to avoid medicating where possible this time. I had to take paracetamol a couple of times last week but they didn't really touch my headache so didn't bother after that. Part of me thinks the headache was hormones anyway, I have had something similar before.

Other than that, I have been having turmeric and ginger milk and fresh lemon and manuka honey drinks and gargling salt water for the throat.

I laid off the gym last week, I was coming up for a dreaded rest week soon anyway so thought I might as well do it then.  I have carried on this week, sore throat eased through the morning yesterday and I just had a stuffy nose.  That also cleared yesterday afternoon but this morning the throat is a little sore again and I have a slight headache.  It could just be because its early and I'm tired and may ease. I have a yoga pt in a few mins so let's hope it does anyway.

I feel like I am challenged now with fighting off illnesses by eating well and providing my body with all the correct fuel it needs to take on these lurgies we are faced with daily.  I know the fact I have a sore throat means that the perimeter defences are doing their thing.  I like to try and understand the processes that are involved in your bodies immune system, it really is another amazing thing that our bodies just do and we take for granted.  What we have inside us is just incredible, it just does things without any conscious involvement and I feel its my duty to try and understand what is going on, what it needs to enable it to do it better and then give it everything it needs!

Plus I dont get paid if I'm off sick! Watch this space

No comments:

Post a Comment