Monday 20 January 2014

BAD move!

As I have mentioned before, I have read on more than one occasion that you should soak nuts before eating them. The only problem with that is that soaked cashews really aren't that nice.  It makes them a little bit soggy and rubbery. Well I stumbled across a page where someone mentioned that you should dry them out after too, so just spread them on a tray in the oven and have the heat on really low for an hour or two.  You also only soak cashew for around 2 to 3 hours.

So, I tried this and I just have one word of advice if you wish to keep your sanity and that is, quite simply, DONT DO IT!! They are absolutely incredible and more moreish than a morsesome thing or moreish day, damn it!!

I tried making some overnight buckwheat for my breakfast on Sunday.  I soaked them with milk and cocoa powder and then warmed them up on the morning, added raspberries, yogurt and cacao nibs.  I think it would've been better if it had been cold, but was seriously tasty and soooo filling.  Tom was starving after we had been food shopping and I will still merrily full and I didn't eat again until 3ish!  I think we need to try and introduce them into Toms daily menu somewhere as he really struggle to feel satiated.


I've recently been reading about all of the wonderous health benefits of turmeric.  We have always used it fairly regularly, but only recently have I paid attention to its benefits.

Now that I know about it, I feel the need to try and include it in pretty much everything I eat!! I have also decided to add it into my horses feeds, they will always benefit from natural supplements and is considerably cheaper than specific equine supplements! 

I made an almond meal (left over from making the milk) and turmeric crusted salmon fillet for a late night supper last night, it tasted fantastic.  If I did it again I think I would try adding some amchur powder to the crust.  I haven't ever used it before but apparently it is quite a bitter taste and I think it would complement the earthy taste of the turmeric really well.


I tried slow cooking some chickpeas over the weekend and the results were fantastic.  A much more even texture and fuller taste than you get from using the pressure cooker.  I then spread them out on a tray and froze them, once frozen they can then be put into a bag together and left in the freezer.  Sorted!  Some were left out and Tom worked his magic tonight, he made a turkey and chickpea curry.  It was divine, we will defo be having that again! He had intended on keeping some for his lunch tomorrow, that's not quite gone to plan!! 



I followed this up by making some Golden Milk this recipe talks about a spice blend mix, but I just used Turmeric, and I didn't use honey.  I used homemade almond milk, cinnamon, black pepper and sweet almond oil, as well as the amazing Turmeric paste that it instructs you to make. And what can I say, WOW, absolutely amaaaazing!  It reminded me of liquid egg custard, so creamy and just bloomin amazing.  The paste keeps for up to 3 weeks in the fridge, so I will be making more of this little treat! Apparently it is quite the cure all!! We'll see, in the meantime, its a great little sweet tooth fix!!

Lots of tatsy paste, ready to go!! 

In progress....

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm













No comments:

Post a Comment