Thursday 30 January 2014

Working lunch

Many a time when I have been discussing healthy eating with the engineers at work, they say how tough it is when they are on the road all the time. Well today, I got a chance to give it a go as I was on site in London.

We all set out for lunch, a couple went off to the German Sausage place as it is a favourite of theirs but I really didn't fancy that; no idea what's in what so no thanks and the rest of us went off to Sainsbury's. I had a clear idea of what sort of thing I wanted, I just needed to find a fit.  If I could manage it, I wanted as clean a lunch as possible. I know there are many different thoughts around what classes as clean, but for the sake of this blog and anything I write, I refer to food that is as unprocessed as I can find and as close to its original form as possible. First item I was drawn to was a little tub of coconut, perfect.. What next? I skipped past all sandwiches, wraps, salad pots and pasta pots as these contain an insane amount of added crap, yet people seem to think they are a healthy lunch option.. I suppose to some horrors out there, they could be worse.

I finally came round to the cold meat aisle, one I am always drawn to but also wary of.  There is so much rubbish in this aisle, pumped full of water, preservatives, pulverised, reconstituted and basically so far removed from what it once was that its not worth the effort.  Lots of them even contain sugar I noticed today, I ended up with prosciutto eventually as this is just pork and salt. Could be better, could be a huge amount worse!! I then needed a 'carrier' substance, by this time I was bored of being in the shop and just wanted some ryevita, which I couldn't find, so ended up with gluten free oatcakes. These have some raising agents in them but where the lesser of all evils, really, I shouldn't have bothered with them but I wanted some crunch.  This all weighed in at 600 calories but I felt good after.

So what it does prove? Whilst the items I bought are fairly pricey, they only came in at a pound more than the sausage some of the others had and shite loads more nutritious and appetising (to me anyway). It is indeed possible to eat cleaner than one assumes, even when on the go.

I was thinking the other day, just how far I have come since I started writing this blog.  What started as a quest for aesthetics, has turned into a quest for my version of physical health perfection.  I say my version, because as we all know, there are a hundred million different opinions of what's healthy! I can only base mine on how I feel, how I look is still important but it is an inevitable outcome to my healthy, active lifestyle now! What a boaster ;-)

Now, what should I rename my blog to?!? Operationhealthfreak maybe?

No comments:

Post a Comment