Tuesday 28 January 2014

The sugar debate

I have recently turned my attention to sugar in the diet and I am basically finding my way with an opinion on it.  What I need to remember, and was pointed out to me by my ever helpful at putting into perspective, Tom; I am aiming for optimum health over all else.  I am not shredding down to nothing for a competition.

From all the things I have been reading, I feel I am drawing close to an opinion that suits me and my life and that is that I am still avidly cutting out refined sugar.  This form of fructose contains absolutely nothing beneficial for my body at all.  I am going to be careful with the simple carbs I still consume, such as maple syrup and honey. And also I will still monitor the type of complex carbs I consume and opt for maximum nutritional value at all times.

So basically, I will take the food as a whole and monitor the nutrient content as a whole and decide if the benefits outweigh the short falls. 

The reason this got me thinking about it again was Lisa asked me the question about whether or not she needs to stop having her melon on yogurt for her breakfast because of the sugar content... My first response was that I thought you would have to eat loads for it to be an issue rather than gaining from the vitamins and minerals found in them.. Whilst at a quick glance, that opinion is correct, it is still flawed as far as having to eat loads goes as you do still need to use your common sense and eat in moderation, pretty much across the board when it comes to healthy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment