Sunday 5 January 2014

Healthy weekend number one

Have had a great weekend of revising, riding my horses, eating healthy, wedding dress shopping and healthy meal prep.

I was pretty exhausted come Friday evening so the plan was to have a quick tea and then early bed. We had a slightly different take on one of our standard, quick tea favourites; well, mine was a slightly different take. Quorn sausages, red quinoa and peas. I colourful little plate of loveliness


Saturday was our normal 5 am awake and get to the horses nice and early, we somehow still ended up running late for the vet appointment Sammy had for a lump on his ear.  Almost £600 worth of quote later and he is booked in to have it removed and have a deep cleanse on both of his ears as they are a little bit infected.. Nice.. A quick trip to Waitrose for my king prawns and then home for revision, which is going pretty well I think!  

When we were at the horses, we decided to poke our nose into the hens coup to see if they have been laying since they got let our of their compound to roam free around the yard.  Wow, 25 beautiful as free range as they come, shiny little eggs! And they are schamaaazin!! Their yolks are so rich and creamy, it really does make it horribly obvious just how 'free' most free range eggs you get in the shops, aren't! 

Unfortunately I didn't think to take a pic of the yokes! We have put a right dent in them between Tom, myself and my parents.

Today was another early morning as I had arranged to meet my friend Jo at one of the local bridal shop as they were holding a samples, up to 75% off sale.  I was dreading it tbh, I seriously thought that it was going to some kind of crazy bride to be war, with hair pulling and scratching!! Thankfully, it would seem that people are quite lazy and the prospect of being somewhere at 9 am on a Sunday put a lot of people off.  I really didn't expect to find anything, but my god I did and it was reduced from £900 to £200!!! I want some adjustments doing to it, Jo knows a lady who is a great seamstress so I will see if she thinks the changes I want are feasible.  I still feel I should go and look at what else is out there are there may be something that is good to go as is, although I doubt it for the price I have got this one for.  I'm made up!! 

Had a couple of coffee's and a great catch up with Jo afterwards.  Jo has been into fitness for years, she is pretty hardcore! She is a qualified PT and also a GNVQ assessor, which she is going back into starting next week.  She completed tough mudder at the end of last year and has just got into crossfit, which she is loving.  Its funny though, both of us are pretty fiery girls and always have been, but she commented today that she is just so much more relaxed and her anger has pretty much dissipated.  Another advocate for clean and healthy living and regular exercise if ever there was one! Its great that we have both got there at the same time as we can genuinely appreciate what each of us re up to and the route our lives have taken, without running the 'god you're boring' gauntlet that appears to happen from the still loving living the down and dirty lifestyle.

I made some Lamb Kofta's for lunch, we bought some lean lamb mince as it was on offer.  Granted, even lean lamb mince isn't really lean, but they were super tasty and so much better than the shop bought nonsense!


mmm, lovely, lovely fat glistening away!

As we had this about 11.30, it meant that I was famished by mid afternoon and as I was revising I just lacked the willpower to stop myself eating! So we went for Quorn burgers and I turned mine into an inside out burger! A tasty little treat and under 200 calories, that's a little bit of cream cheese on there.  I wish i could find really good beef tomatoes in this country, they just don't exist in amazing form and I love them!!

Spot the revision peeping out from behind the snack!

I feel like all I have done today is prepare food!!  I tried the first attempt at making some sweet potato crisps.  I mixed them up with a little bit of olive oil and some turmeric.  I absolutely love Turmeric and the health benefits are endless, I just want to try and find the actual root from somewhere if I can as I want to start feeding it to Sammy, he is clearly going to be one of those dogs that is going to grow lumps and bumps all over as he gets older, so I am willing to give anything a try and Turmeric is known for its anti-tumour properties.  I need to refine the cooking side of it, I think I put them too high in the oven to start them off so they burnt a little bit around the edges and stayed a bit wet in the middle, so I had to baby sit them under the grill.. but damn, they taste fantastic and they are going to be mid afternoon snacks for work.  This is them, pre burning!


I think I need to invest in a mandolin, this was really quite boring!

As we only used half of the lamb for lunch, I thought I might as well finish the rest of it off for tea and also carry on the sweet potato thing so a made a de constructed sweet potato cottage pie! As the lamb is pretty fatty, it means that you need very little to create a sauce for it.  I just added a Kallo organic veg stock cube, some cumin and tomato purée, along with carrots, parsnips, peas, courgettes and mushrooms and it was incredible if I do say so myself!!


I think I have been writing this blog for almost half an hour now and the majority of it is about food!!  

Anyway, nearly done, I just need to share a pic of my tasty lunch tomorrow and my little haul I am taking to work with me to feed me through the day! King Prawns and home made mayo free slaw is the lunch menu of the day tomorrow.  Its red cabbage, chicory, carrot, olive oil, lemon juice and honey and it is really, really tasty!!



Phew, medal for making it to the end!! Its amazing how much the prospect of nice food makes you feel better about a day in the office







No comments:

Post a Comment