Tuesday 10 September 2013

Its all about 3

During the time I have dabbled with fitness, none quite as determined as this time though, I have found one thing that works as a guide and it always goes in 3's.  If I give something up, it takes me 3 weeks to not be bothered about it any more, this is normally beer! If I start something new, it takes around 3 weeks for it not to be so tough it makes me not want to do it.  So, for example, when I start getting back into fitness from a break, it takes me 3 weeks to get used to getting back up early and get into the routine of prepping meals etc the night before.

If I injure myself, it normally takes 3 months to be fully recovered, I know if it goes on for longer then it is something a little more serious that may need some proper attention. Other than my normal niggles that is.  So, with the rule of 3, I should be getting used to my new gym routine that includes some Yoga in about 3 weeks, the problem is that we are also moving back in with my parents in a month and I start a new job the day after tomorrow, so I think I may have a new routine settlement breakdown!!

Today was tough at the gym, every single joint from my hips down was in pain when I first started on the treadmill.  I kept it at 4 with no incline for the first 5 mins to start to warm myself up and I concentrated on keeping my posture firm and and keeping my walking motion as relaxed and natural as possible, to minimise the strain.  I gradually increased to 6.8 with a 2 incline for about 20 mins.  I think I had about 5 pain free minutes at the end.  Its not pleasant, but at the same time, when I say pain, its nothing horrific.  I would say its about a 3 on the pain scale for me and eases off to a 1 at the very end, so not even close to agony but uncomfortable.  If I over stretch my walk stride then the pain I get in my flexors is also about a 3, so enough to stop me striding out so much..  I am hoping that it is purely hormonal aches that I am getting, either that or it is my body adjusting to the stretching, hence the mention of the 3 week rule I have.

Basically, I just keep going as long as it is just discomfort and not obvious pre injury/injury pain.  I can already feel that my back is loosening off from the triangle or maybe pyramid (cant quite remember) stretch yoga move, it feels so nice to do it too.  I am insanely tight around my torso and have only done the move 3 times and already feel the benefit.  I went on the spin bike after the treadmill and made an effort to concentrate on my posture on that and not tensing up through my back, hands and face.  I read that this is a common error when people ride a bike and it causes a lot of tension and loss of energy.

Only a pound down this morning on the 3 I have put on this week, hopefully my low intensity cardio this morning will have done the trick tomorrow and I will be back down to my lightest.  I cant go in the morning now as one of my horses is having some emergency attention on her teeth, I have to sedate her so will need to be with her at 6.30.  I may just do some yoga with +Tom Burgin in the morning before I leave




No comments:

Post a Comment