Monday 2 September 2013

I hope you all had a good weekend!

I had a great time, away competing with my mum, +Tom Burgin and Lara (my horse).  There was the typical showing boredom, but it is so nice to just be out doing what I love. +Sue Burgin and +Holly Burgin came over to watch on the Sunday too, which was really great.  Its rare that I ever get anyone other than my parents and Tom coming and seeing me compete and I think they made it through the day without too much boredom damage! It also meant that our families got a chance to meet each other, even if it wasn't all of them

We came home with some ribbons too and the hard work I have been putting in on her has definitely paid off! I did spend 90% of my time grumbling about how badly the show was organised, so to come 3rd in my last class was a huge lift for the day.

Finally, she has a smile on her face! 

Why cant she stay this white! Such an achievement to have come so far with her.  Broken leg at a week old and then an impact injury that resulted in lower leg paralysis for a long time, about a week after that.  Hours and hours of laser therapy and pysio therapy by everyone who was available to put the time in, I was working shifts so had plenty of spare time to put in.. We were told she would be crippled by the time she was 7, she is now 9! 



Tom and I decided to get drunk on Saturday too, which may not have been a great idea but everso needed.  I never managed to shift the extra pounds before we went to the show, however, I also haven't added any!  I took that day off from the gym today, competing all weekend in the wind and sun and then driving for 3 hours or so home, really took it out of me.  Back on track with the gym tomorrow, back on track with my food today.

I have been looking into the King Prawn saga once more, I love these little beauties so much that I just cant leave it alone.  M&S run a Forever Fish campaign that takes into account all of the bad press surrounding all fish and they have their suppliers that are audited for specific standards.  They claim that "This Code of Practice covers every element of prawn production, from hatchery management and animal welfare, to management of the possible environmental impacts and feed manufacture" 

They also go into details about the feed manufacturing that they are funding and supporting, which all sounds like really good work and the progress that we should all support.  However, it also sounds like it is still very much a solution in progress, so I am torn.  They don't seem to mention much about the environmental impact of the destruction of the mangroves and the cross pollution of the water from the waste of the prawns either. 

There is still the option of Organic prawns and apparently, the only ones that can be certified as that are farmed in Ecuador and also, Madagascan Tiger Prawns are from sustainable fisheries, the country is working towards all of their fisheries being branded as such. Waitrose sell organic King Prawns, and they aren't horribly expensive in comparison to other King Prawns.  So whilst I was temporarily lulled into a false sense of security to M&S Honduran King Prawns, I am well and truly back out of that sense of security and my wrists are well and truly slapped. 

Whilst what M&S are working towards is brilliant, across all of their fish, there are still key things to consider.  Not all of their products are from sustainable catch etc.  One example: 85% of our cod is MSC-certified. Which means that we still have to bear in mind that some of their stock, is not certified.  I guess that is has to be clearly marked on the packaging, we just have to know what to look for, so again, its about being well informed. 

Their website is incredibly informative and tells you all about the different fishing methods etc, but what strikes me the most is that, whilst they are all for supporting sustainable fishing where possible, they are still happy to support none sustainable fishing so that they can provide their customers.  They also suggest Mackerel as a substitute fish for Tuna, however, the good fish guide advise caution for Mackerel now and there are a list of issues to be aware of with these also. 

Basically, you still have to be totally on your guard when it comes to eating fish and know what you are looking for.  

Anyway, aim this week is to shift these stubborn 3lbs and then get off the booze until Christmas (apart from my leaving do which will be a slight relapse!) and I am also getting back on working on my rubbish abs! Seeing the pictures from the weekend, it is so obvious how many extra pounds I was carrying, I look like a different person on board now.  The jacket being taken in has completed the picture too, really pleased with myself! 

No comments:

Post a Comment