Wednesday 4 September 2013

Waste not...

After receiving our shopping order yesterday, it dawned on me just how wasteful we are and just how much we could do to improve on that.  All of our shop is about fitting as much as we can in our fridge and freezer in as efficient a way as possible, which generally means not leaving them in the packages they come in.

Just a 'small' selection of the throw away yesterday


The Tesco own brand fruit, for some reason comes in a plastic tub, shrink wrapped top and a cardboard outer layer. Why?  Why not just stick it in a bag with a printed label on it, other frozen food comes in this way, like frozen peas.  I'm not sure of the energy and resources consumed in the printing of these bags, but I know that I for one, would be made up if they provided me with a plain bag with a small printed identification label on it. 

+Tom Burgin made a good point, in that people don't like to buy things that don't look pretty.  I'm sure that if enough people were given the choice, and maybe even extra green clubcard points, then they would think differently.  My point is,t that there isn't even the choice.  

Tesco have apparently been working on reducing unnecessary packaging for a few years, I think I might contact them and ask them what other plans are in the pipeline for further improvements.  Again, a work in progress it seems, but I would still like to ask the question.  How much of a little soapbox madam am I turning into!?

No comments:

Post a Comment