Thursday 17 October 2013

I will break that 140!

I've been hovering here for a couple of weeks now, going up a couple of pounds here and there, but never actually managing to break it. It seems to work like that with me, every time I hit an end of 10, I get stuck. So 160 I got stuck, 150 I got stuck and now, here we are again!!

I know that our bodies get used to whatever form of exercise we throw at them so it's good to shake it up, I just need to come up with different things to do.  What I may do is alternate HIIT and LISS for my cardio. 

High-intensity interval training (HIIT), also called High-Intensity Intermittent Exercise (HIIE) or sprint interval training (SIT), is an enhanced form of interval training, an exercise strategy alternating periods of short intense anaerobic exercise with less-intense recovery periods. HIIT is a form of cardiovascular exercise. Usual HIIT sessions may vary from 4–30 minutes. These short, intense workouts provide improved athletic capacity and condition, improved glucose metabolism, and improved fat burning.
(Pinched from wikipedia)

LISS - Low intensity steady state cardio

LISS can be performed in many, many different ways. The key is that you are performing exercise at low intensity. Here are just a few examples:

Walking/Jogging on treadmill or outside
Cross trainer/ Elliptical machine
Stair stepper/stair master
Rowing machine
Swimming (Must be a good swimmer to ensure it stays low intensity)
Water running/walking

Note: Always ensure your body is in a low intensity state. Don't get caught in the moment and convince yourself to go hard - always remember - you are doing LISS as part of a calculated training regime.

I'm sure there is a zone for what your heart rate should stay in, but I haven't found it yet.  There is debate for both of these forms of exercise and the only reason I stopped doing anything high intensity is because of the physical impact on me, in the form of injuries.  I just need to change it up a bit though.  We'll see, I tend to injure myself no matter what I do.

I felt shattered in the gym today, this week in general has been quite a struggle and I just wonder if its because of this sleep hacking I have been doing.  I'm loving getting up early at weekends that isn't going to stop, what I may have to do is have a couple of early nights out of the 7. I'll get there, we have another hectic weekend in the pipeline, so no rest again.  We were meant to be going to Lincolnshire, but my mum is going instead, which means that we need to be here for the horses. Lara is having issues with her leg that she broke as a baby unfortunately, which means I can't compete at the minute. I'm hoping that I can give her a month off and it will pass, everything crossed!! I could do some dressage with Millie, but she is still over weight and not going as well as I would like! So this weekend is to finish sorting the house out.

No real point to this picture other than I had to run out the gym in my bare feet yesterday to get it and I love it.  I could see the glow of the sunrise reflecting in the gym window and went out to this

No comments:

Post a Comment