Thursday 11 July 2013

Teeth are overrated!

After purchasing a lovely new blender the other day, my teeth seem to be somewhat redundant now!  This could save me a fortune with the dentist...

Joking, I'm not that bad. I did try blending up some vegetable concoction at the weekend, but I think its safe to say that the carrots in my house will remain intact a little while longer.. Even Sammy (the cutest dog in the world) wouldn't eat it, so that says it all for me.

We bought the blender to try and get +Tom Burgin eating more fruit, as he hates the texture but loves the taste.  I went out yesterday and purchased two BPA free containers (I haven't read much into this, its on my list, but I thought if I can do my best to avoid it where possible until I pull my researcher stint on it, I will! Always happy for other peoples thoughts on these sorts of claims) I now make us both a smoothie in the morning and I have it after the gym, along with half a pack of the amazing, but probably horribly bad for me, Nature Valley bars.  I haven't got round to putting myself off these by reading about them just yet...

So, the jury is still out for me as far as protein shakes and meal replacements go.  I am struggling to find scientific research to substantiate claims made by fitness pro's and the producers. The one thing that is totally clear is ensuring the quality of the protein contained, along with the quality of the other ingredients.  In which case, I don't see why I cant do that through my diet for the same sort of financial outlay... I'm going to stick with good old fashioned fruit smoothies.  My current favourite is

150g mixed dark fruits - frozen (a quest for the future is to find better quality ones)
1 banana
1 pint of skimmed milk
2 tbsp of porridge oats
1 tbsp Agave nectar - I have taken this product on face value for now, I'm sure I will find some reason not to buy it soon enough.

This serves two of us and is only 249 calories, without the bar of course.  And this keeps me satiated until lunch.. Which I am now eating tentatively as I mixed mine up with Tom's and he can withstand thermonuclear chilli better than me!

check out that bad ass piece of chilli!



I am going to create a new page for stats and pics as i think it is good to see the progress all in one place, rather than root through all my blathering.

My lunch, in all its un-blended glory today, is pretty much what I regularly have but with the odd variation.

100g Leeks
100g Peas
100g Haricot beans
100g chicken thigh
100g Mushrooms
Loads of ginger and garlic
1 apple
and a whole damned chilli!!

this comes in at about 486 calories.. I say about, who knows how accurate my sources are but at least i can have a consistent way to monitor it.

And on that note, teeth really are overrated; I just chomped down on the inside of my lip!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment