Sunday 28 July 2013

We avoided the rain!! Unbelievably!

Today was a toss up as to whether to take Lara (one of my horses) competing or not  The forecast was for heavy showers all afternoon, around the time that she would be competing.  I decided in the end, that no matter what, I should take her as I was away last weekend and I am away next weekend at Y-Not festival and then she has the Irish Draught breed shows coming up, so I need the practice.

My exercise for today consisted of turning this



Into this


This last picture quality isn't even my phones fault, its my mothers!  But you can see that Lara is now considerably cleaner.  Getting the stains of her is such hard work on the shoulders, it is a case of scrubbing and scrubbing until you get her (almost) clean!

We got to the show and the rain had held off and I thought I had got my ahead around what classes were on, but I changed my mind once I had entered as the ground was insanely slippery from last nights deluge on rock hard surface and Lara has problems with her legs, poor girl.  She snapped her hock when she was a week old and then when she was in the horsepital, she sustained some sort of impact injury that set up an intra muscular haematoma and the swelling pinched the nerve that runs right down to her foot and she was paralysed from the fetlock down for a few months until the swelling subsided.  We spent day after day massaging her and ultra-sounding the site of the impact to reduce the swelling, so for her to be where she is today, is nothing short of miracle and we are so proud of her.

Anyway, as usual, I have been distracted.  We were merrily sitting there waiting for the classes before her to conclude and I heard someone say something that made me realise I had got my classes wrong and hers was due to start.  Massive sprint back to the wagon (my breathing was shite, so a way to go yet with my Ultrabreathe!) Just as I got there to tack her up and change, the heavens opened! We did what we could in the wagon and waited, by the time we were ready, the rain had stopped! You can see how angry the weather was in this pic that my friend Amy took of Tom holding Lara whilst I was sprinting around the course to find my route! 


We managed to do both of our classes, 6th in both and jumped beautifully, and not get a drop of rain on us!  We got home and the heavens once again opened! Lucky day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment